Friday, May 6, 2011

My Mom's Corkscrew Pasta Salad

There are hundreds of pasta salad recipes out there.  I've tried dozens of them myself.  But I always find myself returning to this version.  It's tried and true and everyone loves it.  I may be partial to it because it's my Mom's recipe and the only pasta salad I ever had growing up.  Sentimental or not, it is a darned good salad.  It's both tangy and sweet.  And Mom approved!
The Corkscrew Pasta Salad Line-Up...
I forgot to invite 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
Place vinegar in a liquid measuring cup.
Add enough water to make 3/4 cup of liquid.
Place in a sauce pan and add sugar and flour.
Whisk well to get rid of any flour lumps.
Continue stirring and allow mixture
to reach a full boil.  Boil until it becomes
thick and almost clear.
Place cooked pasta in a large bowl.
Coat with oil
Season well with garlic salt, salt and pepper.
Add chopped vegetables. 
I almost always put cucumber,
green pepper and onion. 
Sometimes I add red pepper,
pimiento peppers and/or green onions
for color and variation!
Pour vinegar mixture over pasta. 
Stir well.  Cover and refrigerate.
This is my go to pasta salad recipe. 
It's perfect for picnics, barbecues and potlucks!

Mom's Corkscrew Pasta Salad

8 ounces corkscrew pasta, cooked and drained
2 tablespoons canola oil
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons vinegar
1 green pepper, chopped
1 cucumber, chopped
1 medium sized onion, chopped
garlic salt to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Combine vinegar with enough water to make 3/4 cup liquid.  Place in a sauce pan on stove and add sugar and flour.  Whisk well to combine.  Cook on high until mixture reaches a full boil.  Continue stirring until mixture becomes thick and almost clear.  Set aside to cool.  In a large bowl, combine cooked pasta.  Add oil, garlic salt, salt and pepper.  Toss to coat.  Add chopped vegetables and combine.  Pour vinegar mixture over pasta and mix well.  Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours so pasta absorbs some of the sauce.  Can be made ahead. 

Prep Time:  Approximately 20 minutes     Cook Time:  Approximately 10 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...