Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day Re-Cap

It was a great Father's Day here at The Devilish Dish.  I think I told you we were having Indian Tacos.  They were a big 'ol hit, as expected.  In addition to topping them with Ranch Style Beans, lettuce, onion, cheese, tomatoes and hot sauce, I cooked up a couple of pounds of ground beef.  It got seasoned with various chile powders, a little salt, garlic powder and onion powder.  I also put out sour cream.  It's not a traditional topping at the State Fair, but it was a request.  I made my fry bread dough up about 45 minutes before everyone got here and started frying them up.  Delish!  You can find the Indian Fry Bread/Indian Taco Recipe HERE.  It all worked out great because an Indian Taco is a meal in itself.  I didn't have to grill anything or make any side dishes.  That gave me more time to spend with my sweet Daddy!

That's my Daddy on the right.  On
the left is his twin brother.  My
"Daddy Vernon."  He lives in Heaven.
I was so lucky to grow up with two dads!

For dessert I made Root beer Float Cupcakes.  I'm not even a huge root beer fan, but you'll see why I chose that particular dessert.  I'm working toward a theme here!  Shame on me for not taking a picture of them.  I baked them in bright, striped wrappers, and decorated each one with part of a neon colored bendy straw.  You know, to get the full root beer float effect.  If you are interested in the recipe, I got them from a very clever blog.  The recipe for the Root beer Buttercream frosting is to die for.  I should have made extra.  You know, for breakfast in the morning.  If you'd like to make your own Root beer Float Cupcakes, please visit Confessions of a Cookbook Queen.  Her blog is awesome.  Plus she is freaking funny and her recipes are to die for.  And don't get me started on how good everything looks.  That's part of the reason I didn't take pictures of my cupcakes.  Because in my mind, I want to pretend they looked just like hers.

And now you'll see why I went with the Root beer Float theme.  That's what all the Dad's got for their Father's Day Treat.  Originally I was going to make Cracker Jack Cookies and Pop-Fly Popcorn, and go with a baseball theme, since the College World Series is going on right now.  And then my crappy foot decided not to cooperate and my Dr said no walking.  Which I'm also going to guess means no standing in the kitchen on the crappy foot and baking.  And I just didn't feel right about asking Mr. Devilish Dish to bake his own Father's Day treat.  I had already bought the root beer, only because the brand name was DADS and I thought that was funny.  I had everything ready to go except the cookies and popcorn.  So last minute change of plans and I added vanilla ice cream instead.
Here's the finished product. 
Not exactly the cookies
and popcorn I had originally planned,
but they were a hit anyway!
I have to give credit to the original
creator of
this idea.
I saw it on the
2 Clever Blog.  
So talented.  One of my favorite blogs to look at. 
I changed the tag a little bit
from the original, but I loved the caption
"Top Pop" so I went with that.
Just too much fun with the DAD'S Root Beer.
Big Daddy Size.  What a riot!
Now you can see why I chose
the Root beer Float Cupcakes. 
It made my little treats all the cuter. 
I'm a sucker for themes. 
The moms made out pretty good too because
the root beer and ice cream
are in salad bowls.  Everybody wins!
  
Happy Father's Day!

Love,
The Devilish Dish

The Greatest Gift I Ever Had, Came From God, I Call Him Dad...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...