Friday, March 16, 2012

White Chocolate Covered Strawberry Baseballs

Every so often we get a group of friends together and tailgate before big baseball games.  When we tailgate for football season, I have my usual repertoire of fall recipes that I prepare.  Since baseball means warmer weather we usually take a grill and do burgers or hot dogs, nothing fancy.  According to my husband.  My friend Michaela sent me a picture of these cute white chocolate covered baseballs a while back.  She said it made her think of me because I'm such a baseball fan.  I squirreled that picture away because I knew the perfect occasion would arise and I would get to make them!  And of course my hubby shot down my idea.  He said they were too fancy and that no one liked white chocolate.  WHAT?!?  What planet is he from anyway?  So yes maybe chocolate covered strawberries are a little fancy sitting next to a bag of Cheeto-s but so what?  They taste good and they look awesome.  As you can see, I won in the end and we'll be having these cute little baseballs for dessert at our baseball tailgate.  Wait until he sees the baseball-themed paper plates and napkins I bought.  Boy will he be surprised!


Go Sooner Baseball!
Beat Texas!
The Starting Line-Up
Melt the white chocolate chips
and shortening together.
Using a skewer in the stem end,
dip berries in white chocolate
.
Place dipped berries on waxed paper.
Using a pastry bag, pipe red stitches onto berries.
Let chill in refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving.
Home Run!

White Chocolate Covered Strawberry Baseballs


1 (12 ounce) package white chocolate chips
1 tablespoon shortening
2 cartons strawberries, washed and dried well.  (Leave the green tops on.)
1/2 package red candy melts

In a glass bowl, melt the chocolate chips and shortening together.  You can do this in the microwave or over a double boiler. Line a tray or cookie sheet with waxed paper and set aside.  Insert a skewer into the stem end of a strawberry.  Dip into melted white chocolate, letting excess drip away.  Place strawberry on waxed paper.  Continue until all strawberries are dipped.  I did not dip them completely.  I wanted some of the red to show through.  Melt the red candy wafers in the microwave or double boiler.  I used a pastry bag and very narrow pastry tip to make the "stitches" on the white strawberries.  It was a little messy because the melted wafers were pretty thin and wanted to drip out of the pastry bag.  (You might let it set up just slightly to avoid this problem.)  Pipe little red stitches on the berries to resemble baseballs.  Place in refrigerator to chill about 30 minutes.  Wow your friends at the next baseball game with a "FANCY" treat!

Prep Time:  Approximately 45 minutes     Cook Time:  0  needs to chill

1 comment:

  1. They turned out super cute!! And seriously...when will they realize that in the end...we always get our way...and you will have all of those manly-men eating up the strawberries, guaranteed!!

    MichAElA ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...