Sunday, August 12, 2012

Mexican Casserole

I got this recipe many years ago from a dear friend of my great-aunt.  I was putting together little recipe books for my cousins that included recipes from some of our family and close friends.  This casserole has been one of my go-to recipes for years.  I've served it for company, with a salad and chips and salsa alongside.  Sadly, I've taken this casserole when friends have lost a loved one.  And happily I've shared it when friends have added a new addition to their family.  It freezes well, and it's well-liked by everyone.  I usually prepare it in a throw-away foil pan, cover it with foil, and write the baking directions on top.  Add a bag of chips, some salsa and a batch of homemade cookies and you've got a great meal for anyone who needs a help with dinner. 
The Line-Up!
Brown ground beef and onion together.
Line a 9x13-inch pan with a layer of flour tortillas.
Pour browned beef mixture over tortillas.
Top with beans, cheese and another layer of tortillas.

Combine soup and tomatoes.  Pour over tortilla layer.
Sprinkle with remaning cheese.
Cover with foil and bake
.



Mexican Casserole
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can Ro*Tel tomatoes
1 can (15 ounces) Ranch-Style Beans
1 package shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 package flour tortillas"

Line a 9x13-inch casserole dish with flour tortillas.  (You will have to cut some to make them fit.)  Brown together ground beef and onion.  Drain away any grease.  Pour beef mixture over layer of tortillas.  Pour can of beans over ground beef and sprinkle with half of cheese.  Top with another layer of tortillas.  In a bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup and Ro*Tel tomatoes.  Pour over tortilla layer.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.  Remove foil and bake for 25 minutes longer.

Prep Time:  Approximately 25 minutes     Cook Time:  Approximately 50 minutes 




2 comments:

  1. Hi there... This looks great, but would corn tortillas work instead? It seems like the flour tortillas would get soggy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think corn tortillas would be great! I just had a reader ask if she could substitute pinto beans for the Ranch style beans and a green chile enchilada sauce for the cream of mushroom soup. I think that would work too. It's a good base recipe for changing up to suit your tastes and what you have on hand! Let me know how it comes out with the corn tortillas!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...