Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Thyme Rubbed Roast Beef

One of my favorite memories from my childhood was visiting my Granddaddy Guy and Grandmother Mary's house on Sunday.  Even after I was well into high school, I still chose to sit at the "kid's table."  Where we dined on pizza, moon pies, popsicles, candy bars, ten thousand flavors of cola, boston baked bean candy, and all the giant gumballs we could chew.  Which to a kid is the ultimate Sunday dinner.  In hindsight, I should have been in the dining room with the grown ups.  Sitting on Grandmother Mary's dining chairs with the blue velvet seats.  They were dining on things like pot roast or chicken and dumplings.  But regardless of what we were having, the family was gathered together on Sunday evening for dinner.  This thyme-rubbed roast is the ideal main course for a Sunday dinner.  Served with your favorite potato and vegetable, your family will want to gather around the table.  I love that idea, and I want more than anything to bring that tradition back with my own family. It may take awhile, my nephew is in South Texas and Little Devil is away at college.  But someday, hopefully they'll live close enough to gather around my table every Sunday for dinner.  Incidentally, I have my Grandmother Mary's dining table and chairs.  I recovered the seats, but every time we sit in them I think about the fabulous meals and love that were served  at that table.  I only hope to serve more of the same to my family.
A perfect Sunday meal dish...
Just a few simple ingredients
If you haven't tried a "probe-style" thermometer, I love mine.
The probe is inserted into the meat before cooking,
and remains in the roast during the cooking process.
(A long wire comes out the oven door, attached to the
thermometer where you can monitor the cooking temps.)
This is the easiest way I have found to get meat
to come out at our desired doneness.
Serve with your favorite potato dish
for a delightful Sunday dinner.

Thyme Rubbed Roast Beef1 3-4 pound beef roast
10 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons dried thyme

Place the roast in a roasting pan with the fatty side up.  In a small bowl, combine the garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme.  Spread the mixture all over the roast and let it sit at room temperature at least 30 minutes but not longer than an hour.  Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.  Bake the roast for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce the temperature to 325 degrees F.  Continue roasting for an additional 60-75 minutes.  The internal temperature of the roast should be 145 degrees F for medium rare.

Allow the roast to sit for 15 minutes before slices so the meat can retain its juices.

Prep Time:  Approximately 30+ minutes     Cook Time:  Approximately 1 hour, 45 minutes






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...