Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Firecracker Coleslaw

So I consider myself a pretty good cook.  My family considers me a great cook.  I'm really flattered they believe that, and even more so when they ask me for recipes.  My Aunt Sue has a cabin at the lake, and does a lot of casual entertaining there.  Since she gets together with her lake friends on a regular basis, she's always on the lookout for something new to wow her friends.  Just the other day my Mom said, "You know the 4th of July is coming up.  Aunt Sue and I need some new recipes."  At that point it was early in the morning, I was brain dead and not yet had my first Diet Coke of the day.  I mumbled, "I don't have any new material."  Later I decided I had better get on the ball and get some new summer-savvy recipes on the blog.  Firecracker Coleslaw is perfect for the 4th of July, not only because of the name, but because of the little kick of spice in the dressing.  It's a tangy, crisp slaw, that's ideal for hot weather.  Gotta go.  Gotta call Aunt Sue and tell her to check out this recipe!
Colorful and perfect for your summer cookouts!
The Line Up.  Don't worry.  It looks like a lot of
ingredients, but most of them get thrown together
as the dressing!
Whisk together vinegar, sugar, jalapeno juice, salt,
pepper, mustard seed, celery seed and olive oil.
Cut carrots, red bell pepper and red onion into
matchstick-sized pieces.  I'm lucky.  Mr. Devilish Dish
is really handy with a knife!
Combine veggies with coleslaw mix.  Pour dressing over
and stir well to combine.  Allow time to refrigerate.
Happy Fourth of July!

Firecracker Coleslaw

1 bag coleslaw mix
2 carrots, peeled and cut into matchstick-sized pieces
1 red bell pepper, cut into matchstick-sized pieces
1 small red onion, cut into thin slivers

Dressing

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons liquid from pickled jalapeno slices
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh cracker pepper
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
2 tablespoons olive oil

Place coleslaw mix in large bowl.  Add chopped carrot, red pepper and onion.  In a separate bowl, whisk together ingredients for dressing.  Pour dressing over coleslaw mixture.  Stir well to combine.  Cover well and refrigerate overnight. 

Prep Time:  Approximately 25 minutes     Cook Time: 0

2 comments:

  1. Looks really good. Thank you for joining our Walking on Sunshine FB page party. Please come and join our party on the BLOG on friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do! So glad I found your page!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...