Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Homemade Italian Seasoning

A while back my husband and I cleaned out the pantry.  And by cleaned out the pantry I said, "I don't think we need Emeril's Asian Essence from 1996."  We organized everything, and all of the spices are labeled in neat little jars.  In alphabetical order.  I repeat in alphabetical order.  (No, I don't wash my hands exactly 5 times before bed.  Yes, I do like my cooking stuff really organized.)  Imagine the horror when I went into the pantry today, looked under "I" for Italian Seasoning and didn't have any.  Seriously I second guessed myself and was like, "Damn. Should not have thrown out Emeril's Italian Essence from 1996."  It was cold and rainy here and I was making a Crock Pot Ravioli Casserole.  And I was in my pajamas and dead set on not leaving the house.  Then I remembered that not only am I a food blogger, but I'm a pretty decent cook and coming up with my own Italian Seasoning probably wouldn't be rocket science.  After all, I've made my own Homemade Greek Seasoning and I always make my own Homemade Taco Seasoning.  Why should the Italians be neglected?  They shouldn't.  And so I whipped up my own Homemade Italian Seasoning and LOVED IT.  (I went extra on the red pepper flakes, but well, you know.  I'm the DEVILISH Dish.)
Out of seasoning?  No need to get out
of your pajamas for a trip to the store. 
You can make your own!

Homemade Italian Seasoning

1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried cilantro
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried savory
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.  Store in an air-tight container.

Prep Time:  Approximately 5 minutes     Cook Time:  0





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...