Monday, March 23, 2015

Fried Cabbage & Bacon

So my Devilish Nephew (who is my pseudo-son) lives in Houston.  He's engaged to be married this Spring.  Whenever he comes home to visit, I try to stuff him with food.  Because nothing feels better as a Mom (or pseudo-mom in this case) than making sure your family has a home cooked meal.  He and his sweet fiancee came home for an engagement party/shower a couple of weeks ago.  I usually prepare a Mexican food feast for him, but I knew the menu at the shower was going to be Mexican.  So I went back to my roots and opted for a home style meal instead.  We had Fried Cabbage and Bacon, Cowboy Beans, Cucumber Salad and Cornbread.  My nephew was fat and happy with the results.  From time to time he calls me for recipes, and I've shared many and gifted him many cookbooks.  When dinner was over he said, "I'm gonna need that cabbage recipe before I go home." Which I think is the greatest compliment of all!




Home Cooking at its best...
A home cooked feast for my sweet nephew!
Here he is along with his beautiful fiancee.
Aren't they just gorgeous?
And clever too.  I told you they came home
for a shower.  The hosts of the shower were
some of the nephew's fraternity brothers.
The "Host" gifts were six-packs of beer
that is brewed in Houston with a cute tag.
Thanks for BREWING up a great shower!
Isn't that cute???

Fried Cabbage & Bacon

6 slices bacon, chopped
1 large white onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large head cabbage, cored and sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon paprika

In a large pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crispy, about 10 minutes  Add onion and garlic, cooking until the onion turns golden and begins to caramelize, about 10 minutes.  Stir in cabbage and cook another 10 minutes.  (Cabbage will cook down a lot.) Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika.  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Serve and enjoy.

Prep Time:  Approximately 10 minutes     Cook Time: Approximately 1 hour total






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...