Friday, February 12, 2016

Cherry 7up Bundt Cake


We recently celebrate my sister-in-law's birthday.  My brother got a Big Green Egg for Christmas, and ever since then he's been a barbecuing fool.  So when he invited the family over for a pulled pork and ribs birthday dinner I immediately volunteered to bring dessert.  Since she has a February birthday, I knew something with a Valentine flair was an ideal choice.  Something pink and fun but  not too fussy to complete a barbecue meal.  I decided to guinea pig my family and and create a new version of an old recipe.  I've made the traditional lemon Bundt cake before with lemon cake mix, lemon pudding mix and 7up with great results.  It's a very simple cake to prepare that everyone enjoys.  But how do you make a lemon and 7up Bundt cake with a Valentine theme?  Simple.  You start with Cherry 7up and go from there.  The traditional version of this cake calls for powdered sugar and lemon juice as the glaze but I opted to use maraschino cherry juice instead.  It provided the perfectly pink color I wanted, and a sweet cherry flavor.  To make it just a little more special I decorated it with some buttercream stars and maraschino cherries.  The cake was a huge hit.  Not only did it look wonderful, it was the softest, moistest cake ever.  Ideal for a February birthday barbecue and splendid for your Valentine sweetheart!
Cherry 7up Cake
A pleasantly perfect sweet for your sweetheart!
Isn't this a cute cake?
And very simple to make.
I love the pale pink color
Super moist and delish!
Give it a try...

Cherry 7up Bundt Cake

1 box white cake mix
1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 cup Cherry 7up
red food coloring (optional)

3 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
2 tablespoons whole milk

buttercream frosting (I whipped up a small batch with a stick of unsalted butter and powdered sugar)
maraschino cherries for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease a Bundt pan well and set aside.  Combine the cake mix, pudding mix, oil, eggs and Cherry 7up in a bowl.  Beat with a mixer until smooth.  I added a few drops of red food coloring because I wanted my cake to be a pretty pink color.  Pour batter into prepared pan and bake approximately 40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Let cake cool in pan on a cooling rack at least 10-15 minute before turning out onto serving platter.  Prepare glaze by combining powdered sugar, cherry juice and milk.  You can adjust the amounts slightly if you want a thicker or thinner glaze.  Pour over cooled cake.  (I did this on a cooling rack over some parchment paper and then transferred the cake to my serving platter, because I didn't want a puddle of glaze on the plate as I had to transport in the car.  This step is up to you.)

Decorate with buttercream frosting or whipped cream, and whole maraschino cherries if desired.

Prep Time:  Approximately 20 minutes     Cook Time:  Approximately 40 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...