Friday, March 11, 2016

Blueberry Breakfast Cake

I don't make dessert every night, but I do make it more often that I probably should.  Baking is to me what golf is to Mr. Devilish Dish.  Thankfully, we don't usually eat it all.  I share with my parents or neighbors or his office.  When I originally baked this cake, I made it for dessert.  I served up a slice to my husband and he didn't eat all of it.  He said, "It wasn't sweet enough and it was like a blueberry muffin and should be for breakfast."  This was before I had a chance to try it and I assumed it was because he was expecting something rich and decadent like my Banana Souffles or something chocolatey and sticky like my Red Wine Dark Chocolate Hot Fudge Sauce.  And then I sat down and took a bite and realized he was right.  It's a delicious cake.  Very moist and soft and full of juicy blueberries.  But much better suited for the morning with a cup of coffee.  And that's what we did. I wrapped it up and we enjoyed a slice the next morning. 
We enjoyed this more for breakfast, but
feel free to enjoy any time you want!

Blueberry Breakfast Cake


1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, separated
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 cup fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease a tube pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.  Cream butter and sugar together until smooth.  Add the egg yolks and beat until creamy and soft yellow.  In a small bowl sift together the flour, salt and baking powder.  Add the flour mixture a little at a time to the butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk.  Beginning and ending with flour.  Stir in the blueberries and lemon zest by hand.  Don't over stir so the batter doesn't turn purple.  In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold this into the batter.  Spread into tube pan.  Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until cake is a light golden brown and a tester inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes before removing to serving platter.  Serve with a big cup of coffee and enjoy.

Prep Time:  Approximately 30 minutes     Cook Time: Approximately 40 minutes



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...