Monday, August 15, 2016

Homemade Bierocks (German Stuffed Rolls)

I first discovered this recipe when we lived in Omaha, Nebraska.  Not surprisingly since that area is  home to a rich heritage of Eastern European immigrants.  Lots of delicious German and Czech treats abound there.  One of our favorites was the Bierock.  It's also known as kraut kuche or kraut bierock.  It's a soft roll stuffed with a tasty filling of ground beef, onion and cabbage.  As I've mentioned previously in my Slow Cooker Sausage and Sauerkraut recipe, sauerkraut and really cabbage in any form is one of my favorites.  I went to college near Hermann, Missouri and let's just say I spent my fair share of time celebrating Oktoberfest and enjoying my share of the local beer, wine and sauerkraut.  So when I learned about these hearty little sandwiches stuffed with cabbage, I knew immediately it was something we would enjoy.  It's filling, delicious and since it is easily hand-held it is a great snack for sporting or beer drinking events.  When we have attended football games in Nebraska and Kansas, in the past, we found them everywhere.  Lots of locals were kind enough to offer these lovely homemade rolls as we were walking by their tailgates on both the University of Nebraska campus in Lincoln as well as the Kansas State University campus in Manhattan.  I'm thinking these tasty little treats are something I need to bring to the Sooner campus this tailgate season.  Perfect along side a beer, they will fill you up, keep you warm and introduce your friends to a new regional treat.

Homemade Bierocks...A regional treat
you need to introduce to your region!
Roll two balls of dough into equal size ovals
rectangles or circles.
(approximately 5-6 inches long)
Add the filling on one of the sections
of dough.
Top with the other section of dough and allow to rise.
Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
Enjoy this yummy sandwich filled with seasoned
beef, onions and cabbage.
(Trust me they are so good!)



Homemade Bierocks


1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped white onion
3 cups shredded cabbage
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup water
hot sauce to taste (I used Crystal's)
1 package Rhode's frozen dinner rolls, thawed

In a large skillet with a lid brown the ground beef and onion until done.  Drain off any grease.  Add the shredded cabbage, garlic powder, salt, pepper, butter, water and hot sauce.  Stir well.  Cover and simmer 15 minutes.  Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.  Take two of the balls of dinner roll dough and roll into ovals, rectangles or rounds.  Place about 1/4-1/3 cup ground beef filling onto one of the first piece of dough and top with the other piece of dough.  Continue this until you are out of filling.  Place the filled stuffed rolls onto a greased cookie sheet.  Cover with a towel and allow the dough to rise in a warm place 30 minutes.  Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden brown. 

NOTE:  I did not add any cheese but per my husband's request I will do so the next time I make them!

Prep Time:  Approximately 50 minutes     Cook Time:  Approximately 20 minutes











13 comments:

  1. Yes, the Cornhusker state is FAMOUS for Runza --- so glad you were able to get to love them, too!! These are PERFECT for tailgating, not only are they delicious, they make AWESOME hand warmers for those cold games! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so good and football season is right around the corner!

      Delete
  2. You didn't add cabbage in your instructions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooop! Thank you Victoria, I did omit that didn't I! I went back and fixed the recipe so it is up to date. Thanks for telling me!!

      Delete
  3. I have never tried to freeze them because my family always gobbles them up in one sitting, but since they originate from frozen bread dough I would think they would freeze really well! I would just make sure they are thawed well before baking so the filling gets done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Do all steps except the baking. Freeze them uncooked!

      Delete
  4. Yes, they freeze wonderfully! Just thaw and pop in airfryer for a quick warm up. I usually triple this recipe when I make them because we like to have them in the freezer for a quick meal/snack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They do make a delicious snack! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How many runza’s does this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda- it’s been a while since I’ve made these as I have been gluten free the last few years, if I can remember correctly it was about a dozen.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...