Monday, August 15, 2016

Homemade Runzas

When Little Devil was truly little, we lived in Omaha, Nebraska.  There's a restaurant chain local to that area called Runza.  In fact, the first one opened in Lincoln in 1949.  What is a Runza you ask?  Well it's ground beef, cabbage and onions, seasoned and baked inside fresh bread.  In other places I've heard them referred to as Bierocks, but I prefer the name Runza and I'll tell you why.  When Little Devil was truly little, she talked like Elmer Fudd.  Ls and Rs were pronounced like Ws.  Bunny Rabbit was Bunny Wabbit.  Barbecue Ribs were Wibs.  And Runza was Wunza.  Every time we drove by a Runza Restaurant she would say, "Wunza!" only she didn't eat the sandwich.  She only liked the krinkle fries.  Now we're back home in Oklahoma and I'm pleased to report Little Devil no longer talks like Elmer Fudd.  (She'd better not, she's a college senior...)  Sadly there are no Runza Restaurants this far south, so I decided to make my own.  They turned out great and I'm thinking of introducing them to Sooner fans this football season at our tailgates.  I know the Husker fans enjoy them, because every time we're on campus in Lincoln, someone kindly offers us a homemade Runza.  Whether you refer to them as Bierocks or Wunzas,  and whether you live North or South, you can make them too!

Homemade Runzas, or as we call them, "Wunzas."

Roll two balls of dough into equal size ovals
(approximately 5-6 inches long)
Add the filling on one of the ovals
Top with the other section of dough and allow to rise.
Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
Enjoy this yummy sandwich filled with seasoned
beef, onions and cabbage.
(Trust me they are so good!)
Just like Nebraska!

Homemade Runzas


1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped white onion
3 cups shredded cabbage
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup water
hot sauce to taste (I used Crystal's)
1 package Rhode's frozen dinner rolls, thawed

In a large skillet with a lid brown the ground beef and onion until done.  Drain off any grease.  Add the shredded cabbage, garlic powder, salt, pepper, butter, water and hot sauce.  Stir well.  Cover and simmer 15 minutes.  Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.  Take two of the balls of dinner roll dough and roll into ovals as pictured above.  Place about 1/4-1/3 cup ground beef filling onto one of the ovals and top with the other oval of dough.  Continue this until you are out of filling.  Place the filled ovals onto a greased cookie sheet.  Cover with a towel and allow the dough to rise in a warm place 30 minutes.  Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden brown. 

NOTE:  I did not add any cheese but per my husband's request I will do so the next time I make them!

Prep Time:  Approximately 50 minutes     Cook Time:  Approximately 20 minutes











6 comments:

  1. Yes, the Cornhusker state is FAMOUS for Runza --- so glad you were able to get to love them, too!! These are PERFECT for tailgating, not only are they delicious, they make AWESOME hand warmers for those cold games! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so good and football season is right around the corner!

      Delete
  2. You didn't add cabbage in your instructions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooop! Thank you Victoria, I did omit that didn't I! I went back and fixed the recipe so it is up to date. Thanks for telling me!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...