Friday, September 1, 2017

{Gluten Free} Chocolate Cheerios Treats

College football is finally here and I couldn't be happier.  That means lots of tailgating, tv watching and of course: snacking!  My beloved Sooners open their season tomorrow against the University of Texas El Paso and of course our tailgate will be open for business.  Keeping it simple with hamburgers and hot dogs.  I'm making sauerkraut to top the dogs and a big batch of baked beans on the side.  Since it's still hot in Oklahoma I needed a dessert that can stand up to the heat.  (No cupcakes with melting frosting!) Recently my friend Barbara told me about the Chocolate Cheerios  She loves them and I was super excited to have another gluten free item to add to my pantry.  In the past I've made Lucky Charms Bars substituting Lucky Charms cereal for Rice Krispies.  (They are so good too.  More marshmallow!) So this time I'm making the bars with Chocolate Cheerios.  I thought about adding some peanut butter chips or some mini Reese's cups but I figured they might melt in the 85 degree weather, so I opted for a traditional Rice Krispie style treat using the Cheerios instead.  So good!  The Chocolate Cheerios are flavored with real cocoa, lending the perfect amount of chocolate to the treats.  Chocolate and marshmallow are the perfect combination.  Just in time for Kick-Off!

Chocolate Cheerios Bars

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 (10 ounce) package marshmallows
6 cups Chocolate Cheerios cereal


Grease a 9x13-inch pan and set aside.  In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat.  Add the marshmallows stirring constantly until melted.  Stir the Chocolate Cheerios into the melted marshmallow mixture.  Combine and press into prepared pan.  Allow to cool before slicing into squares.

Prep:  Approximately 10 minutes     Cook Time:  Approximately 10 minutes




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...