Thursday, March 7, 2019

Homemade Gluten-Free Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup

Since the gluten-free debacle I've avoided casseroles like the plague.  Mostly because they call for canned "cream of" soups.  Yes you can buy GF condensed soup, but where I live it requires a trip to a specialty store and they are a little pricey.  So until recently I've given up on a lot of convenience meals that use these ingredients.  Then I discovered I could quickly, easily make my own gluten-free condensed soup at home with ingredients I always have on hand.  I'm really pleased with the results and bonus: I control what is in there.  From the seasonings to the sodium I'm in charge.  Simply use one jar of this in place of recipes calling for a can of regular "cream of" soup.  I'm excited because a whole other world of recipes are available to me again.  This whips up quickly, but make a few on the weekend and store them in your fridge for use during the week, AND...Stay Tuned for lots a new recipes using this basic ingredient!

I'm so excited about this.
Look forward to lots of new recipes now that
I've found another gluten-free staple!
Whisk the butter and flour together to create a light roux,
then add the stock, milk and seasonings.

Make a few batches and store them in
your fridge for easy weeknight use.

Homemade Gluten-Free Cream of Chicken Soup

3 tablespoons salted (or unsalted if you prefer) butter
3 tablespoons gluten-free flour (I like the Bob's 1 to 1)
1/2 cup gluten-free chicken stock
1/2 cup milk (I use whole milk)
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper

In a small saucepan melt the butter over medium low heat  Add the flour to the pan and whisk continuously until you have a light roux.  (The mixture should be paste-like and a light golden brown in color.)  Add the chicken stock and milk, whisking until smooth.  Add your seasonings and bring to a simmer.  Continue cooking until the mixture thickens, approximately 2-3 minutes.  Remove from heat and use as you would a regular can of condensed soup.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...