Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Gran Gran's Red Jello Salad

In my last blog post, I shared our most treasured family recipe, Gran Gran's Chicken Spaghetti.  It was the only meal I ever had at her house.  (Except when the cousins and I were old enough to drive and took ourselves to Whataburger.  Another Texas staple like Gran Gran.) Along with her Chicken Spaghetti, my sweet Great Aunt Nona ALWAYS served freshly sliced cantaloupe, garlic bread, Apricot Nectar Cake, and Red Jello Salad.  Now I'm not a huge Jello fan, but this is such a lovely dish, and always well received.  The colors are vibrant, with chunks of flavorful fruit.  Nona always made sure to add a huge helping of Texas pecans.  I think that's what made it extra special.  When my Mom makes it, she serves it in a huge gorgeous glass bowl for a fancy presentation.  This Jello salad has been served at many a funeral, church supper and even bridal showers.  Recently I shared some as part of a Meal Train Dinner for a sick friend.  I didn't want her to hassle with returning dishes, so I used a disposable container.  If you're not transporting, go the extra step like my Mom and use a beautiful bowl to show off this lovely salad.  Everyone will enjoy it, kids and adults alike!
Another family favorite from Gran Gran.
This salad is so colorful and refreshing.  If you
don't need to transport it, serve in a pretty glass bowl for a beautiful presentation.


I tried my best to copy Gran Gran's famous menu.
Chicken Spaghetti, Red Jello Salad, Garlic Bread
My twist: Simple From Scratch Brownies instead of
Apricot Nectar Cake.

GRAN GRAN'S RED JELLO SALAD

1 (6 ounce) package Stawberry Jello
1 (10 ounce) package frozen strawberries
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
2-3 bananas sliced
1 cup pecan halves or pieces

Prepare Jello according to package directions.  Stir in strawberries, pineapple, bananas and pecans.  Place in a beautiful bowl, cover and refrigerate several hours or until set.

Prep Time:  Approximately 15 minutes     Cook Time: Needs to Chill.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...