Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Apple Pie Tacos

My pal Michaela over at An Affair from the Heart invited me to do a guest post on her blog today, so I'm sharing Apple Pie Tacos with her readers and mine!

When Michaela asked me if I wanted to do a guest post for her blog, I was like: “DUH of course!” 
We go way back.  Many years ago I lived in Nebraska and met Michaela at a scrapbooking party.  She sold me one blue pencil for tracing pictures.  I spent a whopping $1.99 with her so I really don’t know why she decided to be my friend.  But I sure am glad she did.  Thankfully we share many more things in common besides that dumb pencil.  There’s a mutual love for tailgating during football season (although she’s a Husker and I’m a Sooner…) our moms are both twins, we’ve belly-ached about raising kids and why our husbands love racing and golf so much, and we share recipes just about every five minutes.  I was planning a birthday dinner for my mom and aunt, so of course I needed to run the menu by Michaela.  She was as excited about the dessert as I was.  APPLE PIE TACOS!  What’s not exciting about that?  A cinnamon-sugar coated taco shell with yummy apple pie filling and plenty of whipped cream and caramel.  A match made in Heaven.  Just like Michaela and me.  Here’s to you friend!  A dessert that is as fun and sweet as you are!  Thanks for inviting me to guest post at An Affair from the Heart, and thanks for being my friend all these years even after that dumb blue pencil incident.

Apple Pie and Tacos
go together like Michaela and Me!
Here's the flour tortilla circles waiting to be fried.

Carefully use tongs to fold each tortilla circle
in half to create a taco shell.
Sprinkle each taco shell generously with cinnamon-sugar
mixture and allow to cool completely on paper towels.
Spoon apple pie filling into the center of each taco shell.
Top with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and a generous
drizzle of dulce de leche sauce.
Enjoy!


APPLE PIE TACOS

For the taco shells:

1 package burrito-sized flour tortillas
vegetable oil for frying
1 cup granulated sugar
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon *NOTE
4-inch round cookie cutter
*NOTE:  I use a high-quality VietnameseHigh Oil Cinnamon.  It smells and tastes absolutely fabulous. Your desserts will thank you!

For the apple pie filling:

3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and finely diced
juice from one lemon
½ stick unsalted butter
3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cornstarch
½ cup water

Garnish:

freshly whipped cream
dulce de leche
1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream

INSTRUCTIONS

For the tacos:

Use the cookie cutter to cut circles from the flour tortillas.  If you’re careful and cut them close to the edge and close together you can get 5 circles out of each tortilla.  Cut these out and set aside.  Heat oil in a small pan over medium heat.  I dropped in a scrap of tortilla and when it began to sizzle and float to the top I knew the oil was hot enough.  Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.  Line a large platter with paper towels, grab some tongs and get ready to go. 

Place a tortilla circle into the hot oil using tongs.  Allow to brown on one side for a few seconds, until light golden brown but still pliable.  Turn circle over and carefully fold in half using the tongs.  Hold the circle in the folded position with the tongs and allow tortilla to crisp to a lightly golden brown.  Remove tortilla shell and drain on paper towel-lined platter.  Generously sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture inside and out.  Cool completely on paper towels.  Complete task with remaining tortillas.  I actually did these the day before and stored them at room temperature in an air-tight container once they were completely cool.  This made the dessert super easy to put together when the time came.

For the apple pie filling:

Toss diced apples in lemon juice.  In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and stir in brown sugar and cinnamon.  Add apples.  Cook about 5 minutes.  Meanwhile whisk together cornstarch and water until well-combined.  Add to apple mixture.  Continue cooking until the liquid has cooked out of the mixture and the apples are a dark golden and soft.  Set aside.  I also made the filling ahead of time and reheated the mixture just prior to serving dessert.

For the garnish:

You can use prepared whipped cream or whipped topping, but my family prefers real whipped cream.  I simply combine one pint of heavy whipping cream with 2 tablespoons and granulated sugar and beat with my mixer until thick and fluffy.

You can also use prepared caramel ice cream topping or make your own.  Since I was making “tacos” I chose to use a dulce de leche topping.  You can find this in a can in the Mexican food section of your grocery.  I used Nestle brand.  I heated it on the stove top in a small saucepan and added a tablespoons of unbeaten heavy whipping cream to thin it out a bit.  Dulce de leche is very rich and luscious.  I highly recommend you try it as a topping for your desserts.

To assemble the tacos:

Place about 2 teaspoons of warm apple pie filling in each taco shell.  Top with a dollop of whipped cream and a generous drizzle of dulce de leche sauce.  Serve and enjoy.  OLE!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...