Thursday, June 30, 2011

Crack Corn: The Recipe That Inspired My Blog

If you've ever wondered why I decided to name my blog The Devilish Dish, there are a couple of reasons behind the inspiration.  First of all, I thought "Devilish" would not only imply the spicy food that I love to cook, but also rich, sinful desserts that none of you could resist.  "Dish" would symbolize not only a plate of food, but "the dish" as in The Gossip, The Scoop.  If you've ever seen the skit on Saturday Night Live that is a parody of NPR's The Splendid Table, then you know they call their radio show, "The Delicious Dish."  I thought The Devilish Dish would be a nice homage to Molly Shannon and Ana Gasteyer.  I love listening to The Splendid Table, but I love the SNL version better.  Why the catch phrase, "So good it tastes like Jesus made it?"  A dear friend in Nebraska gave me this recipe.  It's simple, and addicting.  I mean really.  Like crack addicting.  And she should know, because they really love their corn up in Nebraska.  So I got hooked on the popcorn.  And I got everyone I know hooked on the popcorn.  I made "Oklahoma Sooners Bowl Bags" for Christmas gifts one year.  You know:  chips, salsa, popcorn.  Everything you need snack on while watching a bowl game.  I received a thank-you note from a friend that simply said, "That popcorn was so good, it tastes like Jesus made it." She's right.  It is sweet, salty and so simple to make.  
THE Popcorn.  Careful, it's addicting!

4 ingredients. 
It doesn't get any easier than that!

Combine almond bark and vegetable oil.

Microwave until smooth and pourable.

Remove any popped kernels from the popcorn.

Pour melted almond bark over popcorn. 
I like to put the popcorn in a paper sack.
Then you can just shake it really well to combine.
I usually make this popcorn in triple batches,
so the sack makes things easy.

Add sprinkles if desired. 
Let popcorn "dry" before serving.

So good it tastes like Jesus made it.



Crack Popcorn:   A.K.A. The Popcorn So Good It Tastes Like Jesus Made It

2 bags microwave popcorn, popped
3 squares white almond bark
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
sprinkles, optional

Pop the popcorn and sort out any unpopped kernels.  Melt the almond bark and vegetable oil together in the microwave until smooth.  Pour over popcorn and stir/shake until evenly coated.  Add sprinkles if desired.  Let popcorn "dry" before serving.

Prep Time:  Approximately 10 minutes     Cook Time:  0

NOTE:  You can use any kind of microwave popcorn that you like, butter/no butter, salt/no salt.  I like it with butter and salt because it is the perfect combination with the sweet white bark.  You can change the colors of sprinkles for holidays, sports teams etc...This makes a great gift packaged in a cute bag too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...