Tuesday, February 6, 2018

The Border Crossing Green Chile Stew

For years the Border Crossing restaurant was a local favorite in Norman, Oklahoma.  It featured southwest-style New Mexican food.  Their salsa was the freshest, chunkiest salsa in town.  My mom would go there and buy it by the quart for every family get together.  The queso featuring their green chile stew was a dream.  It was a dark, quaint location with the coldest beer and fruitiest sangria.  Patterned after The Shed restaurant in Santa Fe, New Mexico the menu featured blue corn stacked enchiladas and of course their famous green chile stew, which I'm sure they sold in gallons.  It was by far my husband's favorite dish on their menu and like many in our city, he was broken hearted when the restaurant closed.  For years he has tried to replicate that stew.  I cannot even count how many versions we have tried.  After many years of trial and error we finally settled on a variation we love.  It's different than the original from the Border Crossing, but equally delicious.  Greg's Famous Green Chile Stew has become a family favorite, but we've never forgotten the original inspiration from the Border Crossing.  When my aunt passed away a couple of years ago, I gratefully received her collection of cookbooks and recipes.  You would not believe the surprise when I found one labeled "Border Crossing Stew."  Greg was shocked and amazed and we made it that very night.  I have no idea how she came about the recipe, but as much as we could remember it tasted very similar to that steaming bowl of green chile stew from the Border Crossing.  Chock full of tender beef, fresh corn and of course the signature roasted green chile flavor.  We enjoy this often, and fondly reminisce about our old favorite restaurant.  
A taste of Santa Fe
Very simple to prepare.
Everything goes into the slow cooker.

Full of roasted green chile flavor

Like the old Border Crossing restaurant!

Enjoy with tortillas, cornbread or some
Homemade Indian Fry Bread.
( I even have a gluten-free version!)



Border Crossing Green Chile Stew

2.5 pounds sirloin or round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
7 ounces frozen corn
1/2 cup diced white onion
1 cup chopped green chiles (I used frozen Hatch - mild)
1/2 tablespoon garlic salt
1/2 tablespoon black pepper

Put all ingredients in slow cooker.  Cover with water and cook on low 8-10 hours.  Taste and season with additional salt or pepper if needed before serving.

Prep Time:  Approximately 20 minutes    Cook Time:  Approximately 10 hours

4 comments:

  1. Like this recipe! I have heard that the beef should be browned before adding to slow cooker for maximum flavor. I see this recipe doesn't say that. Can I do it with the beef here? Tia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Corinne-Sure! Most recipes I’ve used do say to brown the meat first and I normally do that. Since I was using a copycat recipe from a local restaurant I opted to make it exactly as written, but next time I will definitely brown the meat first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would be good with pork shoulder, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it definitely would! We were just in Santa Fe, and had Green Chile Stew at The Shed restaurant. They use pork in theirs and it was delicious!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...