Sunday, February 25, 2018

{Gluten-Free} Waffle Pizza Dippers

So before the whole gluten-free thing I didn't even like waffles.  Honestly because we had a Belgian Waffle Bar in college,  and there may have been an incident of overindulgence during Sigma Chi Derby Days.  But we won't go into that.  Let's just say it's been several years since I've enjoyed waffles.  I read that once you go gluten-free it is not abnormal to crave carb-laden treats like waffles or pancakes.  It's true.  I would go to Waffle House for dinner right now if I could.  Rather than make a plain ol' waffle (which I now crave) I started thinking about some savory gluten-free waffle options for dinner.  Another thing I really miss is pizza.  (I do have some gluten-free pizza recipes to share soon) so the idea of a pizza waffle really intrigued me.  The only waffle maker we own is one I bought for Little Devil to have waffle sticks when she was truly little.  It hasn't been out of the cabinet in years. And I don't think it's even on the market anymore. But I fired that thing up and made the tastiest, savoriest pepperoni pizza stuffed waffles you've ever seen.  They were so yummy dipped in marinara sauce, and really satisfied my need for bread products.  Even Mr. Devilish Dish and Little Devil agreed they were really tasty and had a great crisp texture.  I'm excited about the outcome and already dreaming up new gluten-free waffle ideas.  
Satisfy your waffle and pizza craving at the same time!
What's more fun than a waffle?
A pizza waffle.
If you don't have a waffle iron that makes waffle sticks,
simply cut a traditional waffle into fourths.


Serve with warmed marinara sauce
for dipping.
A true pizza flavor!


{GLUTEN-FREE} WAFFLE PIZZA DIPPERS

2 cups gluten-free Bisquick Baking and Pancake Mix
1 1/3-2 cups whole milk
1 egg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 cups chopped pepperoni slices
1 jar marinara sauce, warmed in a sauce pan

In a large bowl, stir together the Bisquick mix, milk, egg, vegetable oil, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and salt.  Start by adding 1 1/3 cup milk.  If the mixture seems too dry, then continue adding milk a tablespoon at a time (2 cups should be enough.) The mixture should be thick but smooth.  Stir in the cheese and pepperoni pieces.  Spoon the mixture onto a preheated waffle iron.  (It may take a waffle or two before you know exactly how much batter to use so it won't ooze out the sides.  Waffle irons vary-and you may not have the waffle stick version like I do.) When the indicator light shows they are done remove from the waffle iron.  Place on a cutting board and trim the edges.  (If you are using a standard waffle iron, cut the circle into 4 sections.)  Serve with warmed marinara sauce for dipping.

*NOTE I used mozzarella and pepperoni slices because that's my favorite kind of pizza, but I think these would be equally delicious with other pizza toppings.  Feel free to experiment!

Prep Time:  Approximately 15 minutes   Cook Time: Waffle Irons Vary





       



 

   

 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...