Friday, August 26, 2011

Corn Fritters...Like Hush Puppies Only Awesomer!

I love hush puppies.  I just don't like the fish that goes with them.  And for some reason I feel like there is an unwritten rule that says I can't make hush puppies unless I fry fish.  I know, I know it's free country and I can fry up whatever I want in my kitchen but I always feel like the Hush Puppy Police are out there somewhere, just waiting to pounce on me.  I came across this old recipe for corn fritters and it reminded me of hush puppies without the stigma.  The fritters are light, fluffy and slightly sweet.  A perfect summer side dish.  I served them with honey butter.  You know, just to take the edge off the already deliciousness.  And I can tell you one thing, Mr. Devilish Dish is mighty glad I found this recipe.  Because I walk around constantly saying, "I want hush puppies Daddy." just like Junior says to his father Sheriff Buford T. Justice in Smokey and The Bandit.  Now that I have corn fritters, I don't want hush puppies so much.  Ah...The little things that push that man over the edge!
Okay...Yum!
Only 4 ingredients.
Combine milk and egg.
Add baking mix.  Stir until fairly smooth.
Add drained corn. 
Drop by teaspoonfuls into hot oil.
Fry until golden.  About 4 minutes.
Drain on paper towels.
Serve with fried chicken tenders,
homemade pickles and
farm fresh cantaloupe. 
Or just serve them up with honey butter!
"I want hush puppies Daddy!"

Corn Fritters

1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1 cup Bisquick
1 (12 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
oil for frying

In a mixing bowl, blend egg and milk.  Add baking mix and stir until fairly smooth.  Stir in corn.  Drop by teaspoonfuls into hot oil.  Cook quickly until golden brown, about 4 minutes.  Drain on paper towels.  Serve with maple syrup or honey butter.

Prep Time:  Approximately 10 minutes     Cook Time:  Approximately 4 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...