Monday, February 4, 2013

Deconstructed Guacamole Salad


I watch Top Chef a lot.  And I PONTIFICATE about Top Chef a lot.  Every 3 or 4 minutes during the show I yell, "Pause It!" so I can give my opinion.  As to why a contestant's dish is going to be a winner or a loser.  Or what I would do with those ingredients instead.  Like I would take that ostrich egg and serve Tom and Padma a giant deviled egg.  PONTIFICATE is a big word.  So is DECONSTRUCTED.  Makes me sound fancy!  Almost like I'm Top Chef material.  Which I'm not, but it's free to dream. The chefs on Top Chef are always "deconstructing" their dishes.  Taking something kind of straightforward and taking it apart.  Ummmm I can do that.  Only not in a 30 minute time limit inside a Prius, using only a waffle iron and a turkey baster, and not when my ingredients are limited to eel farts and bubble gum.  So you'll probably never see Tom and Padma judging my food, but I don't mind if ya'll do.  Feel free to PONTIFICATE and DECONSTRUCT all you want.  Definitely DECONSTRUCT this Deconstructed Guacamole Salad!  It's a winner, Top Chef or not!

Deconstructed Guacamole Salad

3-4 ripe avocados, sliced thick
1 red onion, thinly sliced (in slivers)
1/3 cup cilantro leaves
1 package cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
sea salt
fresh cracked black pepper

juice of one lime
1 teaspoon or more hot sauce--to taste! (for example: Cholula)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar--to taste!
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

On a large serving platter, arrange avocado slices.  Top with onions and tomatoes.  Sprinkle cilantro on top.  Whisk together the lime juice, hot sauce, vinegar and olive oil to create a dressing.  Drizzle over vegetables.  Top with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Serve immediately.

Prep Time:  Approximately 20 minutes     Cook Time:  0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...