Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Overnight Slow Cooker Apple Oatmeal

I love my slow cooker.  And I love breakfast.  Well I love to eat breakfast.  Waking up to cook it, not so much.  My nephew came to visit from out of town recently and he was leaving early for a long drive home.  I wanted to send him off full of breakfast without staying up all night to make it.  This oatmeal was the perfect solution.  It just takes a few ingredients, cooks all night while you get your beauty sleep, and is warm and hearty enough to fill you the next morning.
The Overnight Slow Cooker Apple Oatmeal Line-Up
Combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
In a separate bowl combine oatmeal and water.
Add salt.
Toss apples in brown sugar-cinnamon mixture. 
(I used granny smith apples because
I think they hold up well to cooking.)
Place apple mixture in bottom of slow cooker.
Pour oatmeal mixture over apples. 
Do not stir.  Cover and
cook on LOW overnight.
You're all ready for breakfast
when you wake up!  Serve with
milk and additional brown sugar. 
My husband said he would have preferred
the apples to be diced up so he got some with
every bite.  I might try that next time.

Overnight Slow Cooker Apple Oatmeal


2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/3 cup brown sugar
4 cups water
2 cups old-fashioned uncooked oats
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt

Mix brown sugar and cinnamon with apple slices, coating apples.  Mix oatmeal together with water and salt.  Put apples in the bottom of the slow cooker.  Pour oatmeal mixture over top.  Do not stir.  Cover and cook overnight on LOW 8-9 hours.  In the morning, stir thoroughly and serve with milk and additional brown sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...