Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Banana Souffles

Last month Mr. DD and I went on a trip to Las Vegas, with an organization he's involved with.  It was my first time to visit Las Vegas and I was pretty excited.  I'm not much of a gambler, but I am a foodie, and Las Vegas has about as many restaurants as it does slot machines.  Just about every celebrity chef you can think of has at least one restaurant in Las Vegas, so you can imagine how hard it was for me to choose where we'd eat dinner.  I selected Scarpetta, which is Chef Scott Conant's Italian restaurant.  So excited.  Until I woke up the morning of our flight not feeling well.  To make a long story short, Mr. DD went to Scarpetta and I went to bed.  My first night in fabulous Las Vegas was spent in my pajamas, shivering under the hotel sheets watching Travel Channel.  When Mr. DD returned from dinner I asked, "How was dinner?  But just say if it was good or not.  I don't want to hear details about what I missed."  His reply was, "Good."  Followed by a half hour of describing how decadent the banana souffle was for dessert.  I may have been the first person in history to visit Las Vegas and lose more weight than money, so when we returned home I was determined to try a banana souffle. We prepared these for a Valentine dessert and WOW.  They were so delicious, they almost made up for spending my Las Vegas vacation staring out the window of the hotel!
Check out that height!
A very impressive dessert.
(So impressive they
serve stuff like this in Vegas.)
You can serve the souffles topped with
a little confectioner's sugar.
Whipped cream would be even better!

Banana Souffles

(recipe by handsome Chef Eric Ripert)

1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
5 tablespoons sugar
2 firm, ripe bananas, mashed (1 1/4 cups)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 large egg yolk
3 large egg whites
pinch salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Brush four 1-cup ramekins with melted butter.  Add 2 tablespoons of sugar to 1 of the ramekins and rotate it to coat with sugar.  Tap the excess sugar into the next ramekin and repeat until all of the ramekins are coated with sugar.  In a food processor, puree the bananas with lime juice, egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of sugar until smooth.  Scrape the banana mixture into a large bowl. In another bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form.  Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until firm and glossy.  Using a spatula, beat 1/4 of the beaten egg whites into the banana mixture, then gently fold in the remaining whites.  Spoon the souffle mixture into the prepared ramekins and tap them lightly on a countertop.  Place on a  baking sheet and bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until golden brown and risen.  Serve IMMEDIATELY.

Prep Time:  Approximately 10 minutes     Cook Time:  Approximately 15 minutes




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...