Monday, March 9, 2015

Ruth's Cris Salad

They say "Opposites Attract," and obviously it's true.  There are many ways that Mr. DD and I differ greatly.  I'm a right-brained art major and he's a left-brained business guy.  I'm hot natured, he's always under a blanket.  I love to read.  He loves to play golf.  One of the activities we can both agree on is our mutual love of cooking.  This year for Valentine's Day we decided to stay in a cook a great dinner together.   Some people might not think that's a very romantic way to spend Valentine's Day, but it's something we very much enjoyed.  We had steaks, duchess potatoes, Banana Souffles and this wonderful salad.  I think my favorite part of the meal was the dessert, but Mr. DD has raved about this salad for weeks.  I edited the ingredients just a little bit because there were a few things I consider yucky, and since it was Valentine's Day I figured I could make the salad the way I wanted it.  We even went the extra mile and worked hard to make sure everything looked perfect on the plate.  Mr. DD is big on presentation.  Usually I'm big on eating the food while it's still warm (See?  Different Strokes for Different Folks) but since it was a special meal, it was worth it to up the presentation.  Try this wonderful salad the next time you grill a steak or prepare a special meal.  It's well worth the effort.
An elegant salad with a lovely presentation...

Ruth's Cris Salad (my version)
adapted from Table Talk and Walk


1 package mixed greens (I buy the package that has four small heads of butter and green leaf varieties) torn or cut into julienne strips
1/2 red onion, sliced very thin
1/2 cup chopped green olives (I left these out.  Ewwww)
1/2 cup button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced thin
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 (14 ounce) can hearts of palm, drained and sliced (I left these out.  Again, Ewwww)
1/2 package thick cut bacon, chopped and fried
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (I used Gorgonzola)
1 cup croutons
1 carton grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup French's French Fried Onions (the kind you use with Green Bean Casserole)

Dressing

1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon dried basil
juice from 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste

Combine the dressing ingredients and refrigerate.  When ready to serve combine lettuces, red onion, olives, mushrooms, eggs, hearts of palm and bacon.  Add dressing.  (It will be thick and you may not need all of it.  Basically enough to "glue" the ingredients together.)  Carefully toss in blue cheese, and croutons.  Place serving of salad on plate.  Garnish with grape tomato halves and french fried onions.

Prep Time:  Approximately 25 minutes     Cook Time:  0




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...