Tuesday, May 30, 2017

{Gluten-Free} Indian Fry Bread

I'm an Okie, born and raised.  Our quintessential State Fair Food is the Indian Taco.  We have our fair share of chicken fried steak, BBQ and Mexican food too.  And don't forget about a good 'ol Fish Fry.  But the Indian Taco is my go to recipe when someone from out of town comes to visit and I want to give them the full Oklahoma experience.  I've been making them since 4th grade.  It's also my go-to recipe when I have leftover buttermilk, can't think of anything to cook, or I'm hungry.  I've had lots of trial and error converting recipes to gluten-free.  I was determined to master Indian Fry Bread, because I wasn't about to give up Indian Tacos.  Even Mr. Devilish Dish and the Little Devil agreed this version is close to the real thing.  It bubbled up and was soft and airy in texture.  The perfect base for the tasty taco ingredients, or a side to a bowl of green chile. 
Finally!  I light, bubbly
GLUTEN FREE
Version.
Ideal for Indian Tacos.

Check out the crispy, golden edges.
I'm so pleased with how this turned out.
This is the closest I've come to the real deal.
{Gluten-Free} Indian Fry Bread

Makes two large pieces or four small pieces

1  cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons Xanthan Gum
1/2 cup buttermilk
oil for frying

In a skillet over medium high heat, melt shortening for frying.  Meanwhile combine flour, baking powder, salt, Xanthan Gum,  and buttermilk.  Divide into 2 even sized pieces and flatten and roll out slightly.  This will make 2 large pieces for Indian Taco bases.  Can also be made into smaller pieces to serve with cinnamon/sugar and honey.  When oil has reached 350 degrees F, place dough in skillet and fry until golden.  Flip over and fry until other side is golden brown.  Drain on paper towels.

*Note  I usually make the Gluten Free Version for myself, and my regular recipe for the rest of the family. I roll my dough out on a separate surface using the gluten free flour.  I fry my bread in the oil first to avoid any cross-contamination.

Prep Time:  Approximately 10 minutes     Cook Time:  Approximately 6 minutes

For Indian Tacos, I like to top the fried dough pieces with:

Warmed Ranch-Style Beans
cooked and crumbled ground beef
lettuce
tomato
onion
shredded cheese
hot sauce   






15 comments:

  1. This is the best GF frybread!! Mine didn't bubble, so maybe I didn't roll it out thin enough- it the taste and texture were spot on!You need to add a Pinterest button so it can be saved and shared! This is a GOOD recipe...shout it from the mountain tops! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your feedback Kara! I'm so glad you enjoyed the fry bread. Gluten allergy has been a struggle but I'm slowly finding some tasty substitutes for things I used to enjoy. There should be a small strip of icons at the very bottom of the post that will allow you to share the recipe to several forms of social media. I'm constantly working on new gluten-free recipe ideas, so please visit again!

      Delete
  2. I am going to try this recipe soon. Do you need the additional xanthan gum even though bob red mills 1 to 1 flour has some in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Britney- I have had a better result with the additional bit of Xanthan gum!

      Delete
    2. Yup, always double down on xantham gum. Better to have too much than too little. And I've learned a little trick -- let the xantham gum "work" before cooking. In other words, let it sit in the dough ingredients before cooking say 20 minutes. I'm gonna enjoy these so much. GF has been a bummer sometimes. I must try these cuz my grandma was an Okie : )

      Delete
  3. Yaniqueque nummmm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the Bob's red mill 1 to 1 baking flour has xanthum gum in it, do you add the extra to it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I still add the little bit of extra. I think it makes the texture closer to the real thing.

      Delete
  5. Ok question, does it need the buttermilk or can I substitute it? Thank you though I haven't been able to enjoy fry bread since I realized I have gluten sensitivity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve never tried it with anything other than buttermilk. It is my understanding that had you need the reaction between the dairy cultures and the baking powder to create the reaction that gives bubbly texture in the bread we enjoy.

      Delete
    2. You could try making plant milk "buttermilk". Add 15ml of lemon juice to milk of choice, leave for 10 minutes. It curdles and is a good substitute for buttermilk in most recipes I have used it in. I haven't tried this one yet though 😉 the lemon juice, being acidic, should create a suitable reaction with the baking powder

      Delete
  6. These look so delicious. Is it possible to substitute the buttermilk with something nondairy? Unfortunately I cannot have dairy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve never tried this recipe with any dairy substitutions. I know the reaction between the buttermilk and baking powder help create the bubbly texture so I’m not sure what dairy substitutes would create that same reaction.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...