Monday, February 25, 2019

Samoa Apple Slices {Gluten-Free}

Who can resist a Girl Scout Cookie?  Especially the Samoas, with their caramel, coconut and chocolate drizzle?  Well unfortunately I have to.  You know the whole gluten allergy bummer.  Although I hear the Girl Scouts have a new gluten-free variety in select markets.  I may have to look into that, but meanwhile I can satisfy my sweets craving with apples.  I ran across this idea using apple slices instead of cookie.  Caramel and apples are already a perfect match.  Why not add a little coconut and chocolate to the mix?  I used Granny Smith apples for a tart flavor.  I like to pretend these are slightly healthier than a cookie because you know, fruit.  The addition of chocolate and caramel might cancel that out, but we will pretend they don't.  Now you can enjoy the flavor of Girl Scout Cookies when it's not cookie selling season, and if you're gluten-free like I am then you won't miss out either.

The ideal substitute for a cookie.
Bonus:  Gluten-Free!
Slice the apples into 1/4-inch slices
Use a small circle cutter to create a ring shape.
Combine caramel sauce and coconut.
Spoon onto apple rings.
Drizzle with melted chocolate.
Enjoy!

Samoa Apple Slices

3 Granny Smith Apples
1 cup caramel sauce
1 cup coconut flakes
2 squares chocolate almond bark

Slice apples into 1/4-inch slices.  Use a small circle cutter (I actually used a very large icing tip) to remove the center of the apple and create a donut shape.  In a small bowl, combine the caramel sauce and coconut.  Spoon mixture onto each apple slice.  In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate squares in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in between until fully melted  Drizzle melted chocolate onto apple slices and serve. 

Prep Time:  Approximately 20 minutes     Cook Time: 0







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...