Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Dreamsicle in a Bowl AKA Orange Dreamsicle Salad

If only you knew how long I waffled around trying to name this recipe.  There are as many variations on the name as there are varieties of Jell-O.  I've seen this called Creamsicle Salad, Dreamsicle Salad, Popsicle Salad, Orange Fluff, Creamsicle Fluff.  Is it a salad?  Not really.  Would I put mandarin oranges in a salad?  Yes.  They are fabulous in my Asian Chicken Chopped Salad.  Would I put sweetened whipped cream in a salad?  No.  Would I put whipped cream in a dessert?  Yes.  Same for the marshmallows.  Marshmallows in salad = bad.  Marshmallows in dessert = good.  Every fluffy combination of fruit, marshmallows and gelatin from my childhood was called "salad" but my gauge for judging salad is where it was placed on the potluck table at Church Supper growing up.  If it was next to Karen's Taco Salad then it was a salad.  If it was at the end of the table next to Margie's Peanut Butter Bars then it's a dessert.  So I'm calling this Dreamsicle in a Bowl because face it, it I called it Popsicle Salad you would break up with me.  Also is it a creamsicle or a dreamsicle?  My mom always called that delicious orange coated vanilla treat a Dreamsicle.  I did a little research and though the terms are used interchangeably, technically a creamsicle is made with ice cream while a dreamsicle is made with ice milk.  This contains neither ice cream nor milk so now you see why I struggled with the name.  The orange and vanilla flavors are definitely reminiscent of the treat we all enjoyed growing up, and to me any kind of "Jell-O Salad" is retro but always delicious.  I most certainly served this as a dessert, and while you can definitely call it a salad, kind of like my "Grape Salad" it's a fruity, creamy treat that belongs at the end of the buffet with the Peanut Butter Bars.  Like my Lemon-Strawberry Trifle I shared recently the original recipe called for whipped topping.  I'm not a fan of the texture.  To me it feels greasy in my mouth so I always take the time to substitute fresh whipped cream.  It only takes a couple of minutes with a mixer and I think the result is airier, fluffier and tastier.  Since Memorial Day weekend is upon us, and Summer gatherings are right around the corner, this is a great time to bring back a retro dessert to your next summer meal!

Call it a dessert, Call it a salad. 
Call it a Dreamsicle.  Call it a Creamsicle.
Who cares?  JUST MAKE IT!

Garnish with remaining whipped
cream and fresh orange slices.
Doesn't this look like Summer?

A super easy, chilled dessert 

This will be a hit at upcoming 
Summer gatherings.

Light, fluffy, creamy and airy.

Cool and refreshing...

Enjoy this retro "dessert salad" at your next potluck.

DREAMSICLE IN A BOWL AKA ORANGE DREAMSICLE SALAD

1 (3 ounce) box orange Jell-O
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
1 (3.4 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding mix
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon caster or powdered sugar
2 cups mini marshmallows
1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
extra marshmallows, mandarin oranges or fresh orange slices for garnish if desired

In a large bowl combine the orange Jell-O and boiling water.  Mix well to dissolve.  Add the cold water mixing well.  Refrigerate for 20 minutes.  Remove from refrigerator and whisk in pudding mix until smooth.  Return to the refrigerator and chill for 10 minutes until thickened.  While this mixture is chilling combine the pint of heavy whipping cream with the sugar and beat with a stand mixer or hand mixer until you have fluffy whipped cream.  Measure out 3 cups of the whipped cream and set the remainder aside for garnish.  Fold the 3 cups of whipped cream into the orange pudding mixture until light and fluffy.  Carefully stir in the marshmallows and mandarin oranges.  Chill until set, approximately 1 hour.  Garnish with the reserved whipped cream and fresh orange slices, marshmallows or mandarin oranges before serving.

NOTE: I made this for dessert and refrigerated the leftovers.  It was good on Day 2, but by Day 3 it was a little "weepy" so enjoy quickly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...