Monday, October 30, 2017

CopyCat El Chico Salsa

I have a little place in my heart for the El Chico restaurant chain.  I grew up with one in our mall, and it was a big deal when you were old enough to hang out with your friends and enjoy dinner that wasn't in the food court.  Of course every obnoxious teenager in my town, including myself made a meal out of the complimentary chips, tortillas and salsa.  Mr. Devilish Dish always teases me and says he can't believe as well as I can cook from scratch, that my favorite Mexican food is from a restaurant franchise.  It may be a sentimental attachment, because as far back as I can remember El Chico has been the restaurant of choice for my mom, aunt, best friend and I.  Little Devil's first trip out of the house as a baby was to El Chico.  My BFF Barbara and I take our girls there now.  We call it the "meeting of the El Chico Chicas."  I don't care what Mr. Devilish Dish says, there will always be a place in my heart for El Chico's salsa.  If I ever wind up on death row, my last meal request will be El Chico's salsa, Mexican relish and corn tortillas.  Hopefully that will NEVER happen and I can continue celebrating there with the ladies in my life.  If you sadly don't have an El Chico near you, then you can enjoy my favorite salsa at home!
It may not be EXACTLY like the restaurant,
but it's darned close and darned good!
My childhood favorite restaurant

Serve with tortilla chips and corn tortillas
for the authentic restaurant experience.
Try my Mexican Restaurant Relish too!

CopyCat El Chico Salsa

2 (14.5 ounce cans) whole tomatoes, undrained
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon Kosher salt, or more to taste
2 garlic cloves, minced
2+ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (more if you like it hot)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro

Combine all ingredients in a blender and pulse for a few seconds.  Store in refrigerator.

Prep Time:  Approximately 5 minutes

NOTE:  The original recipe did not call for cilantro, but upon tasting it we felt like you could only taste tomato. The addition of cilantro really brightened the flavor.  I used my immersion blender to puree my salsa and got it a little smoother than the salsa served at the restaurant, but it was still delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...