Friday, August 17, 2018

Big Mac Salad

I can honestly say I've never had a Big Mac.  As an adult I don't eat much fast food.  As a kid I was all about the Happy Meal.  I'm not really a fan of the special sauce, which I always assumed was Thousand Island Dressing.  Now Mr. Devilish Dish is somewhat of a Big Mac Expert.  And as I drag him through life on my gluten-free journey, I'm always looking for gluten-free options that will keep him intrigued.  When I ran across the idea for a Big Mac Salad, I knew it was something I had to try.  His first comment was, "Big Macs don't have tomatoes."  Then I ran through the jingle in my head, "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun."  He's totally correct.  But I think they made a great addition to the salad, and added a necessary color component as well.  Also missing was the sesame seed bun, but if you're not gluten-free, wouldn't some sesame seed bun croutons be a fun addition?  Other than the tomatoes/missing bun debacle he declared the salad tasted, "Exactly like a Big Mac."  A very simple recipe, full of healthy ingredients, and a fun twist on an old favorite!
A really fun twist on an old favorite...
You won't miss the bun.
Layer the ingredients in a glass salad bowl
for a pretty presentation.
Drizzle the salad with the "special" dressing.
Enjoy the flavors of an old favorite
in a gluten free, low carb form!

BIG MAC SALAD
gluten free/low carb

For the Dressing:

1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 Kosher dill pickle spear, finely minced

For the Salad:

1 pound ground beef
Kosher salt
pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 head Romaine lettuce, chopped
1/4 cup finely sliced white onion
1/2 pound cheddar cheese, freshly grated
3 Roma tomatoes, diced
1/3 cup finely diced Kosher dill pickles

To prepare the dressing, whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, paprika, sugar, and salt.  Stir in pickles and set aside.

In a skillet over medium-high heat, season the ground beef with salt, pepper and onion powder.  Brown until crumbly and drain.  In a large glass salad bowl, layer the salad starting with the Romaine lettuce.  Top with the ground beef.  Then layer on the onion slices.  Cover with shredded Cheddar cheese and top with chopped tomatoes and pickles.  Serve drizzled with dressing.

Prep Time:  Approximately 20 minutes     Cook Time:  Approximately 10 minutes




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...