Spring was wild for us around here. If you read my Payday Crunch Bars post, then you know we were intensely cheering on the Oklahoma Sooners Baseball Team. I lost count of how many watch parties we had. And I don't mean a casual Saturday on the patio. I mean Monday afternoons. Wednesday nights. Not saying baseball fans are superstitious but once we started winning, we kept on having watch parties. Aside from winning baseball games, the most fun was coming up with new sides, desserts and cocktail recipes to accompany whatever Mr. Devilish Dish had on the grill or smoker. Let's just say thanks to the 2026 NCAA Men's College World Series Champions, I have a lot of new recipes to share with you. Everyone scored this year. This Tangy Cucumber & Tomato Salad was a huge hit. Mr. Devilish Dish smoked ribs, and a dear friend brought Hashbrown Potato Casserole. I needed something that wasn't creamy or cheesy to go along with the meal. A cool and refreshing cucumber salad always fits the bill. This tangy version was even better. It helped cool us down from the spicy ribs, and was a great counterpoint to the warm and hearty potato casserole. PLUS, I have FIVE Super 100 cherry tomato plants in full bloom so I'll be able to make this delicious salad all summer long.
| This tangy salad is cool, refreshing and perfect for summer's bounty of cucumbers and tomatoes. Plus it is simple to prepare with just a few ingredients. |
TANGY CUCUMBER & TOMATO SALAD
6 small pickling cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 carton cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup good-quality olive oil
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
salt and pepper to taste
Place the cucumber, tomatoes, and onion in a large bowl. In a small bowl. whisk together the vinegar, water, olive oil and sugar to create a dressing. Pour over the vegetables and season well with salt and pepper. Refrigerate up to one hour before serving. (I like to let the flavors meld a little bit by making this ahead, but I don't like to let this salad sit too long before serving, because I want the vegetables to maintain their crisp texture. That being said it was still delicious two days later!)

No comments:
Post a Comment