I'm a sucker for nostalgic desserts. One of my favorite things to prepare is Twinkies on our Blackstone Griddle. Once they become crisp and caramelized, I serve them with fresh strawberries and whipped cream and call it Griddled Twinkie Strawberry Shortcake. It's a really fun and impressive dessert, but it's not one I made when we are busy entertaining, or absorbed in watching a baseball game. I say that, because I made this specific cake when we had guests over to watch OU Baseball playing their way to the national championship. In the past both my Southern Pecan Praline Poke Cake and Coconut Cake have been huge hits. And both start with a boxed cake mix. I figured a Twinkie poke-style cake would be a huge hit, easily made ahead and a great dessert to enjoy while we watched the game. This cake turned out unbelievably delicious, with a frosting that is so reminiscent of that delicious sponge cake filling. Seriously the frosting could just be in a post by itself, it is that good.
| A delicious, nostalgic dessert. |
| The ingredients. Make sure you have oil and eggs to prepare the boxed cake mix. |
| Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions. Bake and let cool completely. |
| Mix together butter and marshmallow fluff until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla to create the tastiest frosting. |
| Place part of the frosting into a piping bag and pipe into holes made in the cooled cake. |
| Use the remaining frosting to frost the top of the cake, spreading until smooth. |
TWINKIE POKE CAKE
1 box yellow cake mix PLUS: oil, eggs, water needed to make the cake
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 large (16 ounce) container marshmallow fluff
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions in a 9x13-inch baking pan. Allow the cake to cool completely. With the bottom of a wooden spoon, poke holes allover the cooled cake.
While the cake is cooling prepare the filling/frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the butter and marshmallow fluff, mixing until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar a little at a time until combined. Add in the milk and vanilla. Once this is smooth and combined, place about 1/3 of the frosting mixture into a piping bag fitted with a larger tip. (The open-circle style works best. I could not find that one, so I used a larger star tip and it worked just fine.)
Carefully pipe the frosting into the holes in the cake, making sure to fill them up. Use a spatula to smooth out any overfill. Use the remaining frosting to frost the top of the cake, spreading until smooth.

No comments:
Post a Comment