Saturday, March 1, 2014

Dad's Favorite Peanut Butter Cookies

It's National Peanut Butter Lover's Day today, which for me is every day. Given a choice I'll pick Reese's Cups over just about any candy bar out there.  Honestly they could leave the chocolate off and I would be totally fine with that.  My dad's favorite cookie is Peanut Butter.  I'm definitely my father's daughter, because that's my favorite too.  I was pretty excited when I met my husband and found out that was also his favorite.  I grew up in a house where a peanut butter sandwich was always an option.  Didn't like what mom made for dinner?  Peanut Butter.  Need a midnight snack?  Peanut Butter.  One time we were visiting my in-laws, when we lived out of state.  It was pretty late and everyone was in bed.  I was starving and I thought I'd sneak down stairs and make a peanut butter sandwich.  Imagine the horror when I searched every cupboard and found his family did not have a jar of peanut butter.  The next morning I asked him if they were really Russian spies that had infiltrated the United States posing an a normal American family.  He replied, "What in the world would make you think that?"  I said, "They have to be Communists.  Every family in America has peanut butter in their house."  We always have peanut butter on hand, mainly so I can make these cookies any time the craving strikes.  This is the way a Peanut Butter Cookie should be made.  Soft, chewy and not one bit gritty.  Go on an make yourself a batch.  Do it for your country.  It's American!

The All-American Peanut Butter Cookie
My dad's favorite.  My husband's favorite.
My favorite.
The Line-Up.
Be sure to use real butter and shortening.
Don't try to substitute or your cookies
will not have the perfect soft, chewy texture.
Cream together butter, shortening and sugars.
Add eggs.
Add vanilla.
Add peanut butter.

Combine dry ingredients and add to peanut butter mixture.
Roll into tablespoonful-sized balls.
Flatten cookies using fork to make a criss-cross pattern.
Happy National Peanut Butter Lover's Day!

Dad's Favorite Peanut Butter Cookies

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Lightly grease cookie sheet and set aside.  With an electric mixer, cream together the butter, shortening, and both sugars.  Add eggs and blend well.  Add peanut butter and vanilla.  Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl.  Add dry ingredients to peanut butter mixture until well blended.  Measure out one tablespoonful of dough and roll into a ball.  Continue doing this, and place balls three inches apart on prepared cookie sheet.  Make a criss-cross pattern on the balls, pressing them down flat.  Bake for 8-10 minutes or until set, but not hard.  Do not over bake.  Leave on sheets 2 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool..  Store in a covered container. 

Prep Time:  Approximately 20 minutes     Cook Time:  Approximately 10 minutes 


3 comments:

  1. I have seen this recipe so many times and have yet to try it. Soon! Thanks for sharing.

    Luzia
    Ketterman Rowland & Westlund

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made these. Try spreading the dough out, instead of leaving it in a ball

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...