Tuesday, July 28, 2015

How I Make Deviled Eggs

There are many ways to make deviled eggs and while I often make "fun" versions like my Southwest Deviled Eggs, my favorite version is the way my mom makes them.  Nothing fancy.  Just plain deviled eggs.  I don't even like paprika on top.  Mr. Devilish Dish always tries to get fancy with the garnish and I have to stop him.  Just eggs, prepared mustard, Miracle Whip (NOT mayo!!!) salt and pepper.  That's it.  Mom's way equals the best way.  Maybe it's just me being sentimental.  OR maybe it's just enjoying a deviled egg in its simplest form.  A deviled egg that tastes like a deviled egg. 


My Mom's way.  Which I think is the best way.
Isn't that what we should all think of Mom's cooking?

How I Make Deviled Eggs

10 large eggs hard boiled (I use THIS method for the perfect boiled egg.)
Miracle Whip (NEVER EVER mayonnaise)
Prepared Yellow Mustard (the ballpark kind)
salt and pepper to taste

Boil the eggs.  Cool and cut into halves.  (I do ten eggs because my egg platter holds 20 halves)
Remove yolks and place into bowl.  With a fork or potato masher, mash yolks until fairly smooth.  Add enough Miracle Whip to get a creamy consistency.  Add yellow mustard to taste.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Spoon filling into egg halves. 

NOTE:  You can cook as many eggs as you want using my method for hard boiling eggs.  I've used my giant stock pot and done dozens at a time for parties and tailgates.  When I prepare large quantities of deviled eggs or when I want them to look pretty for serving guests, I use my stick blender to combine the yolks, Miracle Whip and mustard.  This way I get a smooth filling.  Then I spoon that into a disposable icing bag with a large decorate tip and pipe the filling into the egg halves.  This method goes even faster than spooning the filling in, and looks way better. 

Prep Time:  Approximately 30 minutes     Cook Time:  Approximately 10 minutes




2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...