Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Grown-Up Cherry Limeades

Sonic-Drive In was founded in Shawnee, Oklahoma in 1953.  So cherry limeades were quintessential to my childhood.  Lots of high school nights were spend "cruising" around aimlessly with my friends only to wind up at the drive in for a cherry limeade drink.  I don't drink them that often as an adult, mainly because I survive on Diet Coke or water only, but they sure are tasty every once in a while.  Since we've been stuck at home with nothing to do, Mr. Devilish Dish and I have been working diligently in our backyard.  It's not a huge back yard, but it does have plenty of space for Ghirardelli "Elli" to run laps like shes a racing dog.  And there is a lovely deck where we like to sit in the evenings and enjoy an adult beverage while we watch said dog racing.  Along with yard work, our adult beverage consumption as increased and it has been kind of fun to come up with a different cocktail each weekend.  Last time we enjoyed the Birthday Weekend Cocktail invented by my friend Jenny featuring moscato wine, vanilla vodka and strawberry soda pop.  Also during the quarantine here in Oklahoma small towns, "cruising" has become a thing again.  Huge Facebook groups have formed and folks of all ages are social-distancing by driving around in their cars listening to music and visiting the drive-ins just like the old high school days.  We haven't done that yet, but I want to soon, so I can see all of the classic cars and motorcycles and basically feel like I'm in high school again.  As we were reminiscing about our high school days the topic of Cherry Limeades came up and I decided a Grown-Up Cherry Limeade would be the ideal patio beverage.  With Memorial Day weekend and cook outs coming up,  here's a blast from the past with an updated adult twist.  So take a spin in your classic car, come home and put on some 80's music and get on the patio with a Grown-Up Cherry Limeade drink.  

A childhood favorite gets an adult makeover!
Refreshing, nostalgic and patio ready 
You MUST get the Tillen FarmsMerry Maraschino Cherries.
They are so worth it and totally make the drink!
Have a safe and happy Memorial Day Weekend
and drink responsibly!

GROWN-UP CHERRY LIMEADES

4 ounces prepared limeade (I made a pitcher from concentrate)
4 ounces lemon-lime soda (I used Diet 7Up)
1 ounce vodka
1/2 ounce grenadine (I used the juice from the cherry jar instead and it's so good)
*Maraschino Cherries - You HAVE to get the Tillen Farms Merry Maraschino Cherries!
Lime wedges for garnish

In a glass, combine limeade, lemon-lime soda, vodka and grenadine.  Stir and add ice.  Garnish with cherries and lime wedges.

*NOTE: These are the absolute best Maraschino Cherries I've ever tasted and  I don't even like maraschino cherries :) you can use regular grenadine, but trust me, splurge on these cherries and use their juice in your cocktail instead.  It's so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...