I told you a while back that the Frozen Aperol Spritz has been my drink of summer. Total Wine loves to see me coming for Aperol and Prosecco. I had read an article a while back that said if you enjoy Aperol, to try Santoni. Santoni Aperitivo is a bittersweet Italian liqueur featuring botanicals, rhubarb and olive leaf. Aperol is sweetest and lightest of these styles of bitter aperitifs. Campari has the deeper more intense bitter flavor. Santoni sits in the middle of those two. A traditional Santoni Spritz is 2 parts Santoni, over ice with 4 parts Prosecco. Garnished with an olive. AN OLIVE. In a spritzer. Since I enjoyed the Frozen Aperol Spritz so much, I went straight for a Frozen Santoni Spritz without even trying the liqueur first. The first drink I had was slightly more bitter than the Aperol I was used to. I thought I had made a mistake. Upon a few more sips, I realized the flavor is very good. But it seemed like it was missing something. I always garnish my Aperol Spritzes with an orange slice, so I thought I would stick to tradition and throw in a couple of Castelvetrano olives. IN A SLUSH. So here I am drinking what looks like a cherry Icee from 7-11 with the bitterly botanical flavor with olives floating around. And you know what? There's a reason Italian food is some of the best in the world. Italians simply know what they are doing with flavor. The addition of those olives with a touch of their brine completely changed the flavor of the drink. If you don't like Aperol, then you probably will not enjoy a Santoni Spritz, but if you do like the flavor of Aperol or Campari, then most definitely give this a try. If you don't have a slushi maker, then just make a traditional spritz that isn't frozen. The sophisticated flavors and beautiful red color make this drink unusually refreshing.
| This is actually really good. *IF* you like Aperol or Campari. If you hate Aperol, you probably won't enjoy this as much as we did. |
| The traditional garnish is an olive. The flavors compliment this liqueur so much. It's really a tasty drink. |
| I'll say it again...The Italians REALLY know how to put delicious flavors together. |
| Despite looking like a cherry ICEE, this grown-up drink is full of botanical flavor. Truly a sophisticated sip. |
(1) 750 ml bottle Prosecco
1 cup Santoni Aperitivo Liqueur
2 cups Club Soda
1-2 tablespoons olive brine
Castrelvetrano olives for garnish
Combine the Prosecco, Santoni, club soda and olive brine in the drink machine. Choose the spiked slush setting and one frozen, garnish with a couple of Castrelvetrano olives and enjoy.
For a TRADITIONAL SANTONI SPRITZ:
Pour 2 parts Santoni Aperitivo over ice. Top with 4 parts Prosecco or sparkling wine. Garnish with olives.
No comments:
Post a Comment