Saturday, May 28, 2011

Everything But The Kitchen Sink: Baked Beans

I've been making baked beans just like my Mom's forever.  I get lots of request for the recipe.  The problem is I rarely make them the same way twice.  I kind of throw them together with what I have on hand.  It's a great time for me to clean out the fridge.  I add part of a jar of salsa, throw in the half jar of green chiles or roasted red peppers.  It truly is everything but the kitchen sink.  AND we like them spicy.  Of course we do, we're The Devilish Dish.  Sometimes I use salsa, sometimes ketchup.  I might have fresh jalapenos or poblanos on hand instead of green pepper.  Brown sugar instead of molasses.  You get the idea.  The point is, you can customize these baked beans to suit your family's taste by playing around with the ingredients.  The recipe I'm giving you is only a guide.  If you like sweet beans, add more molasses.  If you want them HOT, throw in some habanero.  Either way, these are a must have side dish for any occasion.  Bonus?  They freeze well too, so make a double batch!
The Baked Beans Line-Up
(or the ingredients that showed up
for THIS particular party...)
Saute chopped bacon, onion and
green pepper in the microwave,
using a microwave safe bowl.
To the pork-n-beans add
tomato sauce (or ketchup, etc...)
Add molasses or brown sugar. 
Add Worcestershire sauce
Pickled jalapeno slices. 
Do you see how easy this recipe is? 
I'm not really even measuring.
Add bacon mixture
Place in a casserole dish and
bake until hot, thick and bubbly.





Baked Beans


1/2 package bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped (or poblano, or jalapeno, or serrano, etc...)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar (or molasses)
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1-2 small cans tomato sauce (or stewed tomatoes, or diced tomatoes)
pickled or fresh jalapeno slices to taste (or hot pepper sauce)
1 (31 ounce) can pork-n-beans
salsa (optional)

Saute bacon, onion and green pepper together.  I usually do this in a bowl in the microwave for about 5 minutes.  You don't want the bacon crisp, just starting to curl up.  In a large bowl combine all of the other ingredients.  Add bacon mixture.  Taste and season according to your preference.  Place in a casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes, or until thick, hot and bubbly.


Prep Time:  Approximately 20 minutes     Cook Time:  Approximately 45 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...