Thursday, May 19, 2011

Overnight Slow Cooker Brisket

I have to say I was a little skeptical when I first decided to try this recipe.  I knew it would be okay, just by looking at the ingredients, but I have to admit, my husband and I are kind of barbecue snobs.  He would like to place everything on the grill or smoker.  And I don't blame him, because that is usually my favorite way to prepare brisket.  Until now.  This recipe made the most tender, most moist brisket I have ever had.  When I took it out of the slow cooker, it was literally falling apart, shredding itself.  This is the perfect do ahead recipe for brisket sandwiches.  Sorry Smoker, I guess you'll be covered with dust, the slow cooker is taking over your job...
The Overnight Slow Cooker Brisket Line-Up
(Don't panic.  It looks like a lot of ingredients,
but they all get dumped into the slow cooker at once.)
To the slow cooker add the brown sugar,
pepper, salt, chili powder, paprika and oregano.
Add the garlic.
Stir in ketchup, water and white vinegar.
Add the canola oil.
Add the Worcestershire sauce and
drops of liquid smoke flavoring.
Stir in the chopped onion.
Place brisket in sauce mixture.
Spoon some of sauce mixture over brisket to cover.
Cook on low approximately 10 hours. 
Remove from slow cooker and shred. 
Serve with your favorite sauce.  (See NOTE)

Overnight Slow Cooker Brisket

1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 drops liquid smoke flavoring
1 (3 pound) beef brisket

Combine the ingredients in the slow cooker.  Place beef brisket in, spoon sauce over.  Cook on LOW for 10 hours.  Remove from sauce and shred.  See NOTE.

Prep Time:  Approximately 10 minutes     Cook Time:  Approximately 10 hours

NOTE:  I flipped the brisket over after about 6 hours of cooking.  At the 9 hour mark, I turned the slow cooker off and let the brisket remain in the slow cooker for about 2 hours.  (I had a doctor's appointment and did not want the brisket to cook longer than 10 hours.  Also my slow cooker is about 17 years old, so I'm not sure that it is entirely accurate after all these years.)  I removed the brisket, shredded it and refrigerated it.  I re-heated it in a saucepan on the stove with a small amount of sauce and a small amount of water.  It turned out perfect.

The original recipe had you combine 1/4 cup of the sauce from the slow cooker with 2 teaspoons of cornstarch and return the mixture to the slow cooker, allowing to thicken.  Then return the shredded beef to this mixture for serving.  I cooked my brisket with the fat layer on.  Because face it, FAT EQUALS FLAVOR.  I cut all of it off before shredding.  I felt like the sauce in the slow cooker was too greasy to serve.  I don't think it would be a good idea to omit the canola oil from the recipe, because that seems like the glue that made the spices stick to the brisket. 

We simply mixed up another "batch" of sauce following the recipe but omitting the oil.  Cooked it on the stove for a little while until thickened and served it with our beef.  It made a terrific, tangy sauce.  Or you can make your favorite sauce recipe, or use your favorite bottled sauce.  No matter what sauce technique you choose, the brisket sandwich will be one of the best you've ever had!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...