Monday, October 10, 2011

Sloppy Sliders

I was never fond of sloppy joes as a kid.  I don't know what it was.  Something about my mom dumping that stuff out of the can and mixing it with the hamburger meat really turned me off.  Can you tell from my blog posts that I was a picky eater as a child?  You would never know it now.  I'll pretty much cook or try anything.  In an effort to do so, I've been revisiting some childhood favorites and not-so-favorites.  And guess what?  I figured out that I actually like sloppy joes now.  Well this version that is.  You could certainly serve them on a full-sized bun but serving them on the sweet Hawaiian-style rolls makes them party perfect.  I made these awhile back for my husband's birthday party and to say they were a hit would be an understatement.  One of my guests actually said, "Now I know what the food in Heaven is going to taste like."  Talk about a compliment!  The best part is the mixture can be made ahead and kept warm in a crock pot.  Re-visit this updated childhood favorite at your next tailgate or get together.  Then you can know what the food in Heaven tastes like too.
The Sloppy Slider Soiree...
(Don't panic, it all goes in one pot. 
It just LOOKS like there is a lot going on.)
Heat oil in a Dutch oven. 
Add onion...

And peppers.  Cook for about 5 minutes.
Add ground beef.
When meat starts to brown, add garlic.
(I know this looks like A LOT.  I tripled
this batch when I made it for Mr. DD's
birthday party.)
Drain grease from pot.
De-glaze with red wine.
Stir in brown sugar
and seasonings.
Add Worcestershire sauce.
And vinegar.
Add tomato paste.
And tomato sauce.
Simmer for 30 minutes and serve.
(I was so busy with the party that I
didn't get pictures of the mixture
on the slider rolls.  People were eating
6 and 7 of them at a time.  Mayhem!)


Sloppy Sliders

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
1 or more jalapenos, seeded and diced (If you like it hot add more!)
2 pounds ground beef
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
2 (14.5 ounce) cans tomato sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat.  Add peppers and onion.  Saute for 5 minutes until tender.  Add ground beef stirring occasionally as it browns.  Add garlic.  When meat is browned, drain grease from the pan.  Add the red wine and stir to loosen any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add the vinegar, seasonings, tomato paste, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce.  Season with salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for approximately 30 minutes, or until thick and bubbly.  Serve on Hawaiian-style rolls or hamburger buns.

Prep Time:  Approximately 30 minutes     Cook Time:  Approximately 30 minutes




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...